Click on the green icon for answers to common department questions.

Traffic/Vehicle Related

Where do I go to pay my parking ticket or traffic citation?

Parking tickets and citations can be paid in person at the Yorktown Justice Court, (located next to the Police Department) at 2295 Crompond Road, Yorktown Heights NY 10598. The court phone number is (914) 962-6126. Payment of fines may also be made by mail.

Who do I contact regarding traffic violations (speeding, etc.) in my neighborhood?

If you are experiencing an ongoing NON-EMERGENT problem dealing with traffic violations, you may contact the police desk at (914) 962-4141.

Is it lawful to operate a motor driven vehicle (i.e. scooter, mini bike etc.) on Town road or property? 

It shall be unlawful for any person to operate any unregistered motor-driven vehicle upon any public property or Town-owned land in the Town of Yorktown. Click here for related town code 

Do the Yorktown Police provide information on road conditions?

The Department routinely advises local media of any road closures or traffic delays. Due to the volume of calls received, police officers and dispatchers are unable to provide to individual callers. 


Nuisance Related Questions

When is the Town Noise Ordinance?

 No person or persons shall cause, make, create or be the means of causing, making creating or allowing any unnecessary, unreasonable or excessive noise which does or may disturb the peace and quietude within the corporate limits of the Town of Yorktown between the hours of 11:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m., prevailing time. 

When is the operation construction/lawn equipment lawful?

 Noise generated by construction equipment or lawn maintenance equipment, provided that such operation or use does not occur between the hours of 11:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m., prevailing time, from Sunday evenings, through and including Friday mornings; between 10:00 p.m. Friday evenings and 8:00 a.m. Saturday mornings, prevailing time; and between 10:00 p.m. Saturday evenings and 8:00 a.m. Sunday mornings, prevailing time.

Is it unlawful to play excessively loud music during the day?

 Notwithstanding the prohibitions of § 216-2A, no person or persons shall cause, make, create, allow or be the means of causing, making, creating or allowing any unnecessary, unreasonable or excessive noise emanating from or amplified by any sound reproduction system or operating or playing radio, portable tape player, television, tape deck or similar device that reproduces or amplifies sound to an unnecessary, unreasonable or excessive extent or degree, at any hour of any day, prevailing time.


Accident Reports

How can I get a copy of an accident report?

 The Department Records Division is open Monday-Friday (excluding holidays) from 9:00AM-12:00PM. Report copies are $0.25/page. For more information our records unit may be reached at (914) 962-4457 Ext. 6. In addition, you may access accident reports online.


Sex Offender Information

How can I find out about sex offenders in my area?

 Please see the Sex Offender page of our web site.


Press Related Questions

How can I get information on incidents?

The department routinely distributes press releases to the media regarding major events and arrests. Additionally the media is permitted to view the departments daily log (police blotter) to publish excerpts. 



How can I apply for a job with the police department?

The Westchester County Department of Human Resources is responsible for civil service administration for the the towns and villages in the County. Police Officer, dispatcher and office assistant positions are covered by the civil service process. Under New York State Civil Service Law, individuals seeking employment positions in the competitive class of civil service must compete in an examination process for selection by merit and fitness.

For each examination, the Westchester County Department of Human Resources also publishes a detailed announcement specifying the minimum qualifications that need to be demonstrated in order to gain admission to the examination. Please read all materials carefully, as the application fee is non-refundable.

The Westchester County Department of Human Resources administers the civil service examinations for Correction Officer, Police Officer, Police Officer (Spanish Speaking), and Firefighter.

The eligible list resulting from the Police Officer and Firefighter eligible lists are used to fill vacancies in the Westchester County Department of Public Safety Services (Police Officer only), and the Police and Fire Departments of the Cities of Peekskill and Rye, and all the Towns and Villages within the County. The Cities of Mount Vernon, New Rochelle, White Plains and Yonkers have their own civil service agencies and administer examinations independent of Westchester County.



Does the Department provide fingerprinting services for civilians?

Effective January 13, 2010 New York State has contracted with L-1 Identity solutions to provide authorized civilian fingerprinting. The Yorktown Police Department can no longer provide fingerprint services to the public. For more information call (877) 472-6915 or click here for the vendor website


Child Safety Seats

Does the Yorktown Police Department provide child safety seat installation services?

Due to current manpower constraints, the Yorktown Police Department is unable to provide child safety seat installation or inspection services. For information on where services are provided, please click here. 


Keys Locked in Car

Can the police open my car if I have locked my keys inside?

Because of the potential for damage to vehicles, the police department does not open locked vehicles. The Town of Yorktown maintains an authorized company to provide such services for a fee. This company is the only one the police department is authorized to contact on your behalf. If a child is locked inside the vehicle, the police will respond to remove the child from the vehicle, possibly by breaking a window if necessary. 


911 Calls & Police Response

Can I make a police report over the telephone or does a police officer have to come to my house?

 No. The Yorktown Police Department does not accept reports over the telephone. An officer is required to take you report in person at your location or as an alternative, you may come in to police headquarters.

Can I report certain conditions or problems anonymously?

Yes, you do not have to give your name when you call 911 or (914) 962-4141. You should always call 911 to report crimes in progress or for any other police, fire or EMS emergency. If you would like to file a police report (investigation), you must see an officer in person.

I dialed 911 to get some information and the receiving dispatcher told me to call another number, why?

The 911 number should only to be used for true emergency situations. You should only call 911 when there is a life or death emergency that requires the immediate response of emergency services such as the police, fire or ambulance. When there is a situation that requires police response but is not an emergency, use the non-emergency number (914) 962-4141. Do not call 911 for non-emergencies, because this may cause delays in the handling of true emergencies.

What happens when you dial 911 anywhere in Westchester?

The call goes directly to the city or village where YOU are calling from. The phone will keep ringing in locality dispatch center even if you hang up immediately. All calls display the registered telephone numbers name, address, apt number and tells the 911 operator if it is a private residence, coin phone, business, switchboard. Once the police operator answers a 911 call and you hang up, the connection is not broken, your phone is connected and you cannot make any calls until 911 hangs up. If you hang up on a 911 operator and we are unable to contact you (i.e. constantly busy signal or no answer) to verify that no problem exists, a police car will be dispatched to the address to verify if you have an emergency.

What phone number do I call to get the Yorktown Police Department?

Emergency Dial 911

All other business call (914) 962-4141

Do not call 911 for non-emergencies, because this may cause delays in the handling of true emergencies.

Why did it take so long for the police to respond after I called them?

All requests for police services are assigned a priority based on the seriousness of the incident and the potential for personal injury or damage to property. At times, calls of less urgent nature must be delayed so that we can respond immediately to emergencies.

Why did a police officer ask for my date of birth?

There are many people with the same name. This is the best way for the police to make reports and maintain its accuracy. 

Civilian Complaints

How can I file a formal written complaint against an officer for alleged mis-conduct?

In order to investigate your complaint, a Civilian Complaint Form must be completed in person at the Yorktown Police Department. Once completed, the signed form will be forwarded to the Yorktown Police Department Operations Officer. You will be subsequently contacted by an assigned investigator. Any questions or concerns you may have may be addressed by contacting the Lieutenant Richard Malan, Operations Officer at (914) 962-4141 Ext. 117.


Number of Police Officers

How many police officers are there in the Yorktown Police Department?

The authorized strength of the Yorktown Police Department is currently 58 sworn officers. This is the total number of Police Officers, Detectives, Sergeants, Lieutenants and Chief budgeted for fiscal year 2009.


Animal Complaints

Who handles animal related complaints?

The Town of Yorktown maintains a Community Service Worker who also serves as the Animal Control Officer under the direction of the Police Department. To make an animal related complaint, please call our main dispatch number (914) 962-4141.


Indian Point

Where can I get more information on issues regarding Indian Point?

Westchester County maintains a website for information on Indian Point including verifying siren tests, KI-potassium iodide and any current news. Please click here to visit the site. If you simply want to verify if a siren sounding is only a test, you may contact the Westchester County Emergency Management office at 1-800-942-1452. Please do not call the Yorktown Police Department regarding Indian Point sirens sounding unless you have an emergency.


Requests for Department Patches

How can I get a Yorktown Police Patch for my Collection?

The Yorktown Police Department does not sell, distribute or trade Yorktown Police Department patches to individuals or organizations. Patches are utilized for official departmental use only.